When starting the world of the rc plane one of the decisions you need to take is what type of plane to take. Aside from what airplane models will be best for a beginner we need to see if that model should be gas or electric powered.
For me there is no question that the pilot of the beginner rc should start on an electric plane and here's why:
1. Price. Airplanes are far less expensive than airplanes. The only motor for a gas plane can cost more than one electric plane. So you still need the transmitter, servos, battery, etc.
2. What's in the box. Most beginner electric airplanes have everything you need to get started flying. Plane, transmitter and batteries. Almost all gas planes are in the form kit. You need to build an airplane and buy all the parts separately. This is why they are more expensive.
3. You do not have to build it. Most airplanes are made from Styrofoam or plastic and come fully developed or need almost no assembly. You can be ready to fly almost once the battery is finished charging. Gasplates are mostly made of wood and require full assembly.
4. Ease of use. A motor motor is easier to use than a gas. You open the power and that. Gas powered motors require you to add fuel and adjust the motor before you can fly. It's a lot more work.
5. Emotional participation. Why do I say that you can ask? We get more emotionally involved in something that we did ourselves compared to something we bought made. It is believed or not many pilot starters who started on an airplane who gathered themselves hesitating to fly it. As a novice pilot you are going to crash your first plane and no one wants to destroy something they have spent so many building hours.
Electric airplanes are the way to go for a beginner rc pilot. The price, ease of use, and what you get in the box makes it easier and cheaper for a beginner to get started on the world of airplanes. Good luck and happy flying.